The RSPO accounts for 19% of global palm oil supply. So if everyone is using certified palm oil like they say they are, who is purchasing the remaining 81%?
We would like to share with you all how to check if claims are true, I am using The Cheesecake Shop as one example who made claim of being RSPO certified last night on Instagram.
So lets search The Cheesecake Shop in the RSPO database. Go to https://www.rspo.org/ Then click on the membership tab, then the sub tab Find Members.
As they are not RSPO members, this means they have not been audited by an approved RSPO supply chain auditor confirming chain of custody.
We come across these false claims constantly and it's not only infuriating, but extremely misleading to consumers who ask the question, only to be told bare faced lies.
This type of rot needs to stop and consumers deserve to be told the truth.
We ask you all to start using the RSPO database and help put an end to these false claims.
PLEASE: Take screenshots of any claims made by brands stating they are using RSPO certified palm oil. If the RSPO database shows no result, take a screenshot and lodge a complaint with the ACCC (Link here) or regulatory consumer body in your country. Keep doing this with every false claim you come across until they take this seriously and take action.
How to tell if RSPO members are using certified palm oil.
There are various palm oil supply chains and specific claims that can, and cannot be made with each one.
Only Segregated (SG) and Identity Preserved (IP) supply chains can make claim of using certified sustainable palm oil.
The other supply chains can only make claim that the supply contributes to the production of sustainable palm oil. The claims must NOT imply that the physical oil used in the products is certified or sustainable.
We will use Snack Brands Australia as an example of CERTIFIED palm oil.
As you can see below, the search returned a result.
How to tell if the brand cannot make claim of using certified oil.
We ask you now to please use these tools we have given you. Start checking on brands and start calling brands out on false claims. Show them that you can check their claims. Show them that you know what they can and cannot claim. Don't let them mislead you and pull the wool over your eyes. Pull brands up if you see them telling other consumers that their palm oil is RSPO certified when you know it isn't.
I hope this helps you all. It will certainly help regulate this industry if you take action and follow the instructions above.